Friday, November 11, 2016

Veterans Day 2016

Today is November 11 - here in the USA it is known as Veterans Day whereby we recall the great service given by so many in the armed forces to ensure our liberty. In the UK it is known as Armistice Day and Remembrance Day in Canada in recognition of the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month when the armistice was signed between Germany and the Allies calling World War I to an end.
 My still life was set up to honor my father-in-law Edward C. Emmer who served proudly as a pilot in the 101st Airborne Division as well as to recognize all the Anzacs in WWI.
 This afternoon I thought I would go see what else I could find to include in this post. Back in the springtime I had seen photos of this pedestrian bridge in nearby Lake Anne but I had never actually seen it myself. The trees on either end of the bridge are ornamental cherry trees which likely make for a prettier picture than this but the fall foliage is at peak in the background right now.
 This willow tree caught my eye and I thought the base of it looked like an old alligator about to slide into the water.
It was a windy day and there were several people out and about waiting for the wind to ease off so they could photograph the trees reflected in the lake water. The wind was not co-operating but I did find this little calm spot.
 My plan was to head back to our own village to our freedom memorial in time for a sunset view. The moon was out well before the sun left and looked good up there in the blue sky.
 Alas, it was not my day. Now, when I wanted a breeze to see the flags flying, the wind had calmed right down and the hoped for sunset was a bit of a fizzer.
To close I'm going to recycle this photo which I may have used last year. These two veterans are my Dad and my Grandpop and I am also remembering them today with gratitude for their service.

May we never forget, freedom isn't free.

1 comment:

While I write this blog for my own fun, I would also love to know what you think about what I post.